Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is a fluoroquinolone class drug manufactured by Bayer AG to combat various types of infections including urinary tract infections. The drug was promoted extensively by the U.S. government in the early 2000’s as a suitable method to combat the effects of anthrax.
An immensely popular drug, Cipro and other drugs in its class are the most popular antibiotics on the market but are often used for unnecessary purposes that expose consumers to dangerous health complications. At it’s peak, Cipro held 62% of the market share for the fluoroquinolone market. Studies have been published beginning in 1995 continuing to this day.
These studies have routinely issued warnings that Cipro should only be used as a last result for the most serious of infections due to the severity of the health complications it can trigger.
These reports has led to Cipro and other fluoroquinolones to be characterized as “big guns” with “the bigger the gun you use, the more damage you can expect as collateral.”
You should retain a Cipro lawyer if you have suffered adverse health effects from this medication
Has The FDA Or Bayer AG Issued A Cipro Drug Recall?
While health complications, their severity, and their prominence are well documented by independent studies and the FDA, neither the FDA nor Bayer have issued a drug recall for Cipro.
FDA issued drug recalls are exceptionally rare and it is unlikely that a recall will occur in the future. However, the FDA has taken significant steps to warn consumers and medical professionals of the dangers that can be associated with Cipro use. To learn how this can impact a Cipro lawsuit, contact our knowledgeable lawyers today.
Important Cipro Lawsuit Information
As more information was disclosed to the public regarding Cipro regarding health risks – especially nerve damage and peripheral neuropathy – more and more Cipro users who fell victim to these complications began coming forward demanding justice. As is the most common method for all instances of dangerous and defective drugs, pursuing legal action against drug manufacturer Bayer AG became the most prevalent form of pursuing justice.
Lawsuits against various drug manufacturers regarding their own respective fluoroquinolone drug gained prominence in 2015 as several major pharmaceutical companies were named as the responsible plaintiffs for a bevy of charges that at times included the rare charge of racketeering.
As lawsuits began mounting against companies like Bayer AG, pharmaceutical companies began publicly defending their drugs claiming that any negatives associated with their use were far outweighed by the drugs positive effects.
However, perhaps the most important piece of information to note about the status of Cipro lawsuits is the controversial 2015 creation of a fluoroquinolone multidistrict litigation (MDL).
This move was perceived as controversial due to the unique nature of fluoroquinolone dangerous drug lawsuits. Unlike typical dangerous drug MDL’s, this MDL encompasses multiple different drug brands produced by multiple pharmaceutical companies.
Defendants in filed lawsuits expressed disdain with this decision as they felt that lumping together lawsuits against different companies under one MDL was unfair to victims of this dangerous drug class.
Class Action Lawsuits
In similar fashion to settlements, as of June 2016 there have been no public records indicating that a class action lawsuit regarding Cipro is active or will soon go active.
Typically, class action lawsuits are not created to consolidate dangerous drug lawsuits. This precedent would indicate that it is increasingly unlikely that a Cipro class action lawsuit will be created, no matter how many lawsuits are filed against Bayer AG.
However, while a class action lawsuit is not a current factor in Cipro litigation, a federally appointed multidistrict litigation (MDL) has quickly become a major factor in litigation.
Any lawsuits that are filed against Bayer will now have the ability to be consolidated under the MDL, which can be explained in greater detail by a Cipro attorney. While the MDL was met with initial controversy from defendants, it has the potential to provide benefits to victims as early trials with favorable defendant verdics often lead to a greater chance of plaintiff issued settlement offers.
If a victim is deemed eligible to proceed with legal action after being subjected to the preceding points of criteria, a Cipro attorney will begin working to create the strongest case against Bayer AG possible.
Victims of Cipro related health complications are often able to seek eligibility to file a dangerous drug lawsuit. However, in similar fashion to many victims of dangerous drugs, Cipro victims do not always come forward to seek justice against Bayer AG in the form of a lawsuit.
Reasons why victims do not come forward vary but oftentimes include the fear of what the future could hold in the event that they file a lawsuit. In an effort to convince more Cipro victims to come forward, our legal team has discussed and determined the top five reasons that victims should pursue legal action against Bayer AG.
- Ease Of The Process: Unfortunately, a significant number of victims don’t come forward because they are worried that a lawsuit will require an effort and time commitment that they are unable to afford. Contrary to that belief, our legal team will work to handle the case in a manner that will allow our clients to not need to undergo further alterations to their lives.
- Affliction Of Extreme Pain And Suffering: Whether victims suffered through aortic or nerve complications, they are often subjected to immense continuous physical pain in addition to emotional and psychological trauma. A lawsuit may not be able to correct those pains, but it can work to acquire settlements that allow our clients to focus on their recovery.
- Growing Financial Damage: Cipro complications are frequently associated with extended medical care as victims attempt to regain their former quality of health. These efforts lead to mounting medical expenses in addition to wages lost from the need to miss work due to treatment, suffering, etc. A settlement can compensate you for those damages.
- Bayer Failed To Disclose Health Risk Information: A major issue associated with Cipro complications has been the discovery that Bayer AG withheld data, public warnings, and testing efforts regarding Cipro health complications. This neglect on behalf of Bayer led to millions of consumers being subjected to life-threatening health risks.
- No-Fee Guarantee: The fear that additional financial ruin could be incurred due to an unsuccessful lawsuit is perhaps the most commonly cited reason that victims do not come forward. However, to combat that fear our legal team guarantees our clients in writing that unless you win a settlement you will not be charged any fees whatsoever.
As of June 2016, there have been no settlements publicly awarded or offered to plaintiffs who have filed lawsuits against Bayer AG alleging that Cipro carried undisclosed and dangerous health complications.
With no lawsuits against Bayer entering trial in the immediate future, it is difficult to determine when settlement offers may begin to be fielded.
Reach Out to a Cipro Attorney for Help
While the MDL began with less than 100 cases, it has since grown well into the hundreds with those numbers likely to continue to grow. To learn more about litigation, you should speak with an experienced Cipro lawyer. Schedule a free consultation today.